Saturday, October 15, 2011

Yesterday I updated my IOS things to IOS 5 (the ones I could, I have some old stuff). I haven't decided if it's really worth it yet. It was a hassle doing the upgrade, the servers at Apple were hammered, and it took a while to get things done. The process timed out several times. But it all got done.

I thought Apple would do better at explaining how to do things, but the procedure for getting wireless sync from iThings to iTunes on a computer was obscure, and it was a "learn by trying everything" process. It finally works, but there are some misleading statements in various places. Much like other companies, they just don't give you enough information on what's going on for you to make an educated guess and how to proceed when something happens that's not expected.

This whole iCloud business continues to leave me mystified. I converted my MobileMe account over to it, since I'd have to do that anyway in a few months when MM goes away. I'm still not sure what the interaction between iCloud and the iTunes store is (if any). Again, they don't tell you enough for you to figure out what's going on.

My contacts seemed to have transferred OK, but I'm confused about what's going on with the Calendar. The iCloud and MM calendars ended up with different things in them. I just don't think Apple has put enough thought into explaining what is going on.

No comments: